Smaller than Life
Why a blog? Simple. Cacoethes Scribendi -- the urge to write! My literary pretensions and caprices bring me here. Like any writer I write to be read. All my posts, though fettered to my small world and trivially myopic, will live and yearn that somebody connects to them someday. Cognitive frenzies, sardonic musings, aimless banters, incoherent ramblings and trivial indulgences; this is simply an episodic narrative of my trivial world -- in a grain of sand… Smaller than Life.

Graffiti

When I am dead,
I hope it is said,
'His sins were scarlet,
but his books were read'.

- Hillaire Belloc

This is my letter to the world
That never wrote to me, --
The simple news that Nature told
With tender majesty.

Her message is committed
To hands I cannot see;
For love of her, sweet countrymen,
Judge tenderly of me!

- Emily Dickinson

The thoughts of our past years
          in me doth breed
Perpetual benediction

- William Wordsworth

Monday, August 16, 2004
 
My Mother's Son

I rarely doubted myself on the matter. In fact, I never did. I am, as a rule, a self-effacing and modest person. (You can confirm that with everyone who wrote in my autograph book.) But on this particular matter, I have always been at my supreme confident best. Well, I had never stuck in my finger in this particular pie, so to speak. But the forces of nature often seemed to come and whisper in my ear while sleeping -- while I was sleeping, of course -- that I was the best, potentially. I just had to shed my languor and settle down to business. My olfactory and dextrous hands would take care of the rest. I seldom doubted myself on the matter that I could be a better cook than my mother. I often told my mother that she had no idea of what she was doing. She unfailingly took offense.

The other day, I tried my hand at cooking. Well, 'my hands were almost tried' would be a more apposite description. And almost hung. I took to cooking with a sense of zest and the bravura of a buccaneer who goes out into stormy seas. I set out to make rasam. One of my friends, an expert within the confines of our apartment, reeled away the list of ingredients that would make a good rasam. I decided that potato fry would be a better option for a neophyte. However talented one may be, it was still better to start slowly and handle things with aplomb later. The first potato that I dropped in the frying pan to fry -- I mean, for the potato to fry -- remained adamant on the issue of following Archimedes principle. I mean, I don't nurse any grouse against Archimedes; it is alright for the potato to displace an equal volume of oil. But to splash the oil right on me as if organising a mutiny against getting fried -- I still think of the potato as churlish and rude.

The dough for chappatis seemed to invite me for a message and a cook. I am never the one to decline an invitation. The first chappati made me think I would make a good cartographer. It was an exact replica of Australia! The second one was a little better; it came out elliptical. After replicating India, America and several other countries I was finally able to replicate the shape of the world that had them all! All the world was mine. And I was on cloud nine! My heart leapt up as I beheld. I decided to see that as well. The next chappati that came out was much in the shape of my heart -- large, light and ecstatic. I was overjoyed. Until the gluttonous dandy next to me waited diligently for it to be cooked, and broke the heart -- rending it into two -- and gobbled it in contentment. Heart-rending experiences. My nose was burnt -- I told you what I thought of the oil -- and my heart, rended. And I decided I could do with some sleep. And do a good job of it.

I seldom doubt myself; and that is, these days, when I think I can cook better than my mother.



Comments via Blogger:

Post a Comment


 

Credits

Powered by Blogger

Vista © The Jack