Smaller than Life
Why a blog? Simple. Cacoethes Scribendi -- the urge to write! My literary pretensions and caprices bring me here. Like any writer I write to be read. All my posts, though fettered to my small world and trivially myopic, will live and yearn that somebody connects to them someday. Cognitive frenzies, sardonic musings, aimless banters, incoherent ramblings and trivial indulgences; this is simply an episodic narrative of my trivial world -- in a grain of sand… Smaller than Life.

Graffiti

When I am dead,
I hope it is said,
'His sins were scarlet,
but his books were read'.

- Hillaire Belloc

This is my letter to the world
That never wrote to me, --
The simple news that Nature told
With tender majesty.

Her message is committed
To hands I cannot see;
For love of her, sweet countrymen,
Judge tenderly of me!

- Emily Dickinson

The thoughts of our past years
          in me doth breed
Perpetual benediction

- William Wordsworth

Tuesday, February 24, 2004
 
Something in Me...

When the scent of jasmine suffused the air
And innocence straggled into the realms of naiveté;
When a strain as earnest as melodic resonated within;
When at once in her I thought I saw
Narrations of my mother’s childhood a second time,
Re-chiselling themselves out as realities of the present;
When I thought her lips bore my name for three seconds,
I strained to hear the flutter in my heart,
But I knew…
Something inside me was lost.

When I saw her cuddled by blossoms of youth;
And that the squadrons of admirers doubled with the day
And when I saw she laughed her twinkling laugh
With them, like with me in our momentous hours
I tried to smile like in a normal day,
But I knew…
Something inside me seethed.

When my heart refused that my mind believed;
When I saw the furtive glances exchanged;
When their silence spoke louder than words;
When their warmth permeated the chill;
When I felt I was the third of the three;
When my heart froze that cold night
And I thought I should never want to see her again;
When I saw her softly clutch his hand,
I knew…
Something inside me had died.

When the tumultuous rustle in my ears whispered
That she was soon to a mother be;
When I languished in pangs of desire
And wished that her child be mine;
I threw it all a dispassionate askance,
But I knew…
Something inside me yearned.

When before mist and fresh mounds of damp earth covered,
I last glimpsed her cherubic countenance just as fresh;
When I saw quiet prayers wreathed upon her grave
From countless wistful thralls of her vibrancy;
When she went beneath feet half a dozen;
When I lifted her daughter of as many years
And the jasmines she wore smelt the same
As a score and a half years ago;
I strained to shed that inadvertent tear,
But I knew…
It was me that had died.



Comments via Blogger:

Post a Comment


 

Credits

Powered by Blogger

Vista © The Jack