Smaller than Life
Why a blog? Simple. Cacoethes Scribendi -- the urge to write! My literary pretensions and caprices bring me here. Like any writer I write to be read. All my posts, though fettered to my small world and trivially myopic, will live and yearn that somebody connects to them someday. Cognitive frenzies, sardonic musings, aimless banters, incoherent ramblings and trivial indulgences; this is simply an episodic narrative of my trivial world -- in a grain of sand… Smaller than Life.

Graffiti

When I am dead,
I hope it is said,
'His sins were scarlet,
but his books were read'.

- Hillaire Belloc

This is my letter to the world
That never wrote to me, --
The simple news that Nature told
With tender majesty.

Her message is committed
To hands I cannot see;
For love of her, sweet countrymen,
Judge tenderly of me!

- Emily Dickinson

The thoughts of our past years
          in me doth breed
Perpetual benediction

- William Wordsworth

Tuesday, March 02, 2004
 
Look Ahead in Nostalgia!

My neighbour in office has now shifted to another cubicle. And I am alone. Not that the shift has made me feel alone. It has made me think. Two individuals needn't particularly like each other to miss each other. Sometimes we miss people in life merely by virtue of the fact that once they were a part of our daily life. And now they aren't. And some maudlin human minds like mine tend to daub the whole reflection with a little nostalgia and romance. And then we run our palms slowly through the stubbles of our chin and muse forlornly! And then the canvas bloats a little, daring to straggle beyond realms of reality; a little colour is added, a little emotion, a little nostalgia. And for an instant we dream of the day when our closest friend, guide and pillar of support moves out of our lives. Erasing all traces of footsteps from our pastures of youthful friendship. Leaving us intensely thankful to the Lord that we were fortunate to be a part of his great life. We are choked and dazed. We portend his future fame, popularity and greatness with conviction. And tearfully wish him well for the good man he is. We let out a wry philosophical smile. And suddenly we are old men, anecdotists with long unfurling beards white as snow, fondly reminiscing the intruder who was once our soul to our grandchildren in the evenings of our lives. And they listen awed by the chronicles of our lives; important leaflets in the annals of their lineage. And by the time the tale reaches its denouement, the permanence of everything under the sun is so deeply dented and challenged that the children begin to think that all the others around them are to die any moment now! When the story ends with a sigh, and clicks from young throats.

It is now that the exponentially extrapolated reverie comes to a grinding halt. You realise: Your neighbour in office has shifted to another cubicle. Two cubicles farther from his current place!



Comments via Blogger:

Post a Comment


 

Credits

Powered by Blogger

Vista © The Jack