Smaller than Life
Why a blog? Simple. Cacoethes Scribendi -- the urge to write! My literary pretensions and caprices bring me here. Like any writer I write to be read. All my posts, though fettered to my small world and trivially myopic, will live and yearn that somebody connects to them someday. Cognitive frenzies, sardonic musings, aimless banters, incoherent ramblings and trivial indulgences; this is simply an episodic narrative of my trivial world -- in a grain of sand… Smaller than Life.

Graffiti

When I am dead,
I hope it is said,
'His sins were scarlet,
but his books were read'.

- Hillaire Belloc

This is my letter to the world
That never wrote to me, --
The simple news that Nature told
With tender majesty.

Her message is committed
To hands I cannot see;
For love of her, sweet countrymen,
Judge tenderly of me!

- Emily Dickinson

The thoughts of our past years
          in me doth breed
Perpetual benediction

- William Wordsworth

Friday, April 30, 2004
 
When You First Utter'd My Name

I just chanced to find lying derelict a poem that I wrote as a schoolboy to woo the young inamorata of my schooldays - a girl with double plaits that had just joined my class that I thought I loved. I mention double plaits because it achieved the twain of capitalising on my South Indian predisposition and capturing my pseudo-Victorian maudlin imagination! The first time I saw her, I thought she was the phantom of delight that Wordsworth had felt; the lovely apparition that had been sent to be a moment's ornament. I wrote her this Ode to precipitate my echoing of the Victorian thoughts I bore for her and carried it, pencilled in a notebook of mine. I secretly hoped that the paper would fly out in the class someday and, by a divine intervention, fall into her slender hands and that she would pour forth an overflowing glass of requite to me (That later another piece of paper flew to another girl did me little good. I shall write about it later). Ah! Those mornings when emotions weren't crumpled by creases of pragmatism; when I woke up with a strange synergy veering though my nerves; when I thought there was a strange nip in the cool air and I was summoned by the forces of nature to a higher calling, some heroic endeavour; little did it matter that I did not remotely know what kind of a task it meant! I was a man on a mission, and that was enough to make me feel valorous enough to try and woo a maiden! Those were the days...

NB: Needless to say, the crush was attrited the moment I grew some brains! And, needless to say, the poem in itself is hilariously Victorian!

(This poem which I had so delicately treasured for my fair maiden, my teacher somehow managed to catch hold of! And what's more, to my consternation, she matter-of-factly added that it was a good poem because it was able to inspire these feelings vicariously in the reader (which I presume was her)! And she, without breathing a word, had it published in the Young World in my name under the title 'On Love'! Needless to say, the news was meat and drink to the cannibalistic intents of my classmates! I was torn apart the next day, a slight relief being that the object of my affections was absent.)

When You First Utter'd My Name

When you first utter'd my name,
My heart leapt up above the clouds,
Transcending boundaries attain'd of fame.
All for an utterance- a solitary word.

Ne'er a joy so deep was felt,
E'en when clambered I the Peaks of Fame,
Only your words on my mind dwelt,
When I heard in your voice my name.

Ne'er a tune so sweet was heard
E'en from Temples' Bells of Hope that ring,
By utterances you have my heart endeared,
Tears of Joy to my eyes you bring.

Oh! When has my heart beat so fast
In my dreary life of many a year!
Oh! But only seconds did it last
And I clasp'd it to my bosom dear!

Thus have I felt in all my time,
But how you feel is prime, after all,
My name may seem worthless, funny, a rime,
Or et al, to you, may mean nothing at all.


 

Credits

Powered by Blogger

Vista © The Jack