Smaller than Life
Why a blog? Simple. Cacoethes Scribendi -- the urge to write! My literary pretensions and caprices bring me here. Like any writer I write to be read. All my posts, though fettered to my small world and trivially myopic, will live and yearn that somebody connects to them someday. Cognitive frenzies, sardonic musings, aimless banters, incoherent ramblings and trivial indulgences; this is simply an episodic narrative of my trivial world -- in a grain of sand… Smaller than Life.

Graffiti

When I am dead,
I hope it is said,
'His sins were scarlet,
but his books were read'.

- Hillaire Belloc

This is my letter to the world
That never wrote to me, --
The simple news that Nature told
With tender majesty.

Her message is committed
To hands I cannot see;
For love of her, sweet countrymen,
Judge tenderly of me!

- Emily Dickinson

The thoughts of our past years
          in me doth breed
Perpetual benediction

- William Wordsworth

Tuesday, May 25, 2004
 
Sachin in the school books

Sachin Tendulkar, the Doyen of world cricket who has an entire chapter on him in the record books, is apparently in the school books (for a change). The Cricinfo article:

Tendulkar on the syllabus
Wisden Cricinfo staff
May 26, 2004

When the current academic year commences, children in government-aided schools in and around Delhi will study a rather special subject - the life and times of Sachin Tendulkar. The new text books for those in the 10-12 age group include an interview with Tendulkar, where he talks about his own childhood and what it takes to be a special player.

Krishna Kumar, an education official, said that the move to include a first-person account of Tendulkar's life was part of an effort to make education "a more pleasurable experience". "Sachin is an icon in India and kids draw inspiration from him," he said. "So we thought that having a chapter on him will interest kids, and at the same time make them understand that dedication and determination make a successful person."

By all accounts, the kids think it's alright. "I read the interview the day I got the book, said Nikhil Sharma, who is only 10. "I learnt many things about his school days. I always wanted to know the things Sachin did as a kid, and the chapter is really interesting."

In the interview, Tendulkar, who was a cricketing prodigy long before he was out of short pants, describes himself as a mediocre boy and an average student. He also says that he was very naughty, always wanting to "escape to the playground".

The "mediocre boy" has already rewritten one-day cricket batting records, and is now just one behind Sunil Gavaskar's tally of 34 Test centuries. According to him, "strong determination, continuous practice, good understanding of the game, constant improvement of one's abilities and courage to strike the ball with conviction" are central to his success. Something tells you that this is one lesson that will hold the kids enthralled, as opposed to reading comics under the desk.



Comments via Blogger:

Post a Comment


 

Credits

Powered by Blogger

Vista © The Jack